top of page
FAQ's - Frequently Asked Questions


What can we offer?

High quality, fully scaled plans with technical specifications. Plans will be ready for Planning, Building Control approval and Builders' quotes.

  • Reliable advice

  • Existing floor plans (for floors undergoing works)

  • Proposed floor plans

  • Full existing elevations

  • Full proposed elevations

  • Technical specifications

  • Scaled site plans


Why should I get plans drawn for an extension or building work?

Good quality plans will enable you to design your dream space and help you stay within your budget.


Plans will also give you the best chance to fulfil your legal obligations. In addition, having plans drawn will allow you to get fair quotations from builders; they will be able to provide accurate costs and timescales according to your final design without guesswork. 


Do I need Building Regulations approval for my extension?

House extensions will need approval under the Building Regulations 2010 (as amended). This can be provided by:

  • Local Authority Building Control (LABC)


  • A private company known as an Approved Inspector


Can having plans drawn up increase the value of my home?

Having a complete set of plans to show the full potential of your property can increase the value of your house. 


What works are exempt from Building Regulations?

Some types of building works may be exempt from Building Regulations approval such as:


  1. Small detached single storey buildings such as garages, sheds and greenhouses which contain no sleeping accommodation and are no more than 30m². Materials and distances to your boundary also matter.

  2. The extension of a building by the addition at ground level of:

(a) a conservatory, porch, covered yard or covered way; or

(b) a carport open on at least two sides


What is the difference between Planning and Building Control?

Planning is concerned with the appearance of a building, size, shape and look of an extension. This also includes the use of land & buildings, landscaping considerations, highway access and the impact that the development will have on the general environment.

Legislation: Town and Country Planning Act 1990


Building Control regulations set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure people's safety whilst using them. This includes Structural Safety, Fire Safety, fuel & power, services and access provisions.

Legislation: Building Regulations 2010 (as amended)


What are the typical Building Control inspections for a domestic extension?

The number of inspections depends on the nature of the works being carried out:

  • Commencement & Excavation (before excavations are filled)

  • Foundations (before they are covered up)

  • Oversite (Ground bearing slab, etc)

  • Drainage connections, new drains and access points (before covering up)

  • Pre-plaster, installation of insulation, roof construction and bracing

  • Completion (electrical certifications required)

Advance notice of the progress of the works must be given to the relevant Building Control body so that they are able to schedule inspections at the appropriate times.


Is formal planning permission always needed?

Not always. Your project may fall under ‘permitted development’ - if it meets local and national guidance, we can advise you on this during our consultation.


Newer houses built in the last 30 years may need planning approval. Permitted development rights might have been removed from your property, and therefore you will need to take the formal planning route.


How long does the planning process take?

If planning is needed, the process will usually take 8 weeks from the date of submission.


What is Permitted Development?

General Permitted Development Order / The Town and Country Planning Order 2015 is a statutory instrument, which can automatically grant planning permission for certain types of developments.


Can I start building work without planning approval?

If the project does not fall under permitted development then you should not start work without planning permission from your local authority.  


The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by The Extension House Ltd and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.

Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of The Extension House Ltd.  We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.

bottom of page